Monday, June 27, 2011

The Closing of the Door, Opening of the Window Part 2

At our last Rotary meeting, the club wanted me to cook Russian food for them. So my host mom and I cooked pelemeni, which they said turned out horrible because we made so little of it. The club then said their last words to the Taiwanese student and me, who were the only ones remaining in the city at that time. ive never seen a person break into tears that quickly as the Taiwanese student did. In the end, I thanked the club for what they have done for me. And donated my Russian flag to them, as they will go through with the Field of Heroes in Russia, I will be their first hero, they said. at the last night, my entire host family gathered s they could all speak with me one last time, it took a while to get them all here. but we very well talked the night and everyone wished me luck for the rest of my life.

its the end, thats whats been going through my mind the last week or so. soon ill see my friends again in the US, my screams of "Vinicio!" will be replaced by my screams of "Walt!". ill know the life i once knew 10 months ago, the land i called home. the language i speak better than everything. i just cant believe it. 9.5 months ago i was walking into this airport to start my exchange, and now, 294 days later, im leaving through this very airport to end it. all i can say, is that im leaving it with flying colors. i have said my goodbyes. one friend will be with me when i fly out, my brazilian friend who said he wouldnt miss it for the world. my host family pratically invited the entire family over this evening to say good bye to me. the day i fly out will just be me waking up and going straight to the airport. i finished packing yesterday.
i see this world in totally different eyes now, like theres a whole bigger new world waiting to be discovered. i feel like i want to continue my russian studies now while in the US. theres just so much im thinking about right now, when will be the next time i see this land? Russia, the place i have called home for 9.5 months. ive lived in 3 different cities, had 6 host families, and changed many lives on sakhalin and in Nakhodka. but like everyone at this point, im tired. it still hasnt hit me that ill return soon. i answered recently that i dont want to go home. but deep down, when ill be in the airport, i know, that ill want to go home. because something you cant change about me, its that im a patriot, and my homeland is calling. The United States of America. i missed you so much, my house, land, traditions, people, friends. but i know ill miss Russia, my host city. its people, land, traditions, and spirit inside everyone here.its just strange, i now understand how my mom felt at this point after her year, how Greg Miller felt, how everyone feels. its just a shame that it all ended, after living in 6 families, 3 cities, gaining this big impression of Russia, starting the frst ever Russian field of Heroes, along with all my other accomplishments, i can finally say, that now, its time to go home

Goodbye Russia!

No comments:

Post a Comment